Newspaper Archive of
Quoddy Tides
Eastport, Maine
December 25, 1970     Quoddy Tides
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
December 25, 1970

Newspaper Archive of Quoddy Tides produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

Vol. 3, No. 3 Published the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month Friday, 25 December, 1970 Second class postage paid at Eastport, Maine 20 cents a copy as ,e CHRISTMAS AND SANTA CLA US go together for children, and there were many Christmas Parties for children in the Quoddy Bay area this season. This group was at the Christmas Party for children at the American Legion Hall in Eastport which was spon- sored by the Junior Round Table as one of their many community projects. Santa Claus, behind his white beard sports one of another color and for further identification it might be added that he once published a newspaper and is the consultant for the "Quoddy Tides". (Quoddy TMes Photo) The "Tides" Wishes You-- "We wish you a Merry Christmas We wish you a Merry Christmas We wish you a Merry Christmas And a Happy New Year." The above stanza expresses the wishes all of those who are connected with the "Quoddy Tides" - collecting the news, getting it ready to be printed, its printing and its distribution. Our correspondents, Linnea Calder on Campobello, Leita Boone and lnez Kierstead in Eastport, Stirling Lambert on Deer Island, Shirley Morong for Lubec, Flora Case Grant for Dennys- ville, Marion and Edmunds, Ann Spinney for Perry, Mrs. Merle Sprague for Pembroke, Mrs. William Altvater of Pleasant Point, Mrs. Merton Crosby for Whiting, Donna Comeau in Black's Harbour, Esther Mac Wright in Beaver Harbour, Kay Tatton on Grand Manan, Clara Stoner in Robbinston and Frank McCarthy in St. Andrews. All the addresses (2200 of them) and other nyriad details by lnez Kierstead in the office, photography by Robert and Hugh French, the type composer Stirling Lambert, Joyce Silvaggio who does all the final typing, our paste-up artist Alice Lambert, John Pike Grady our consultant, Jay Hinson and his staff in Calais who print the paper, the Eastport Chapter of the Rural Youth Corps who collate and fold the paper, Harry Turner and the post office crew at the Eastport Post Office and the Other postal employees who help with final delivery in the mails. We couldn't stop without mentioning all of the stores who sell the Quoddy Tides: - In Eastport, the IGA Store, Morong's Store, Russell's Groceries, Camick's Drug Store, Havey & Wilson, Cappy Calder, Cook's Store, Hugh Chaffee, the Out Post Variety and Cook and Good- eill; in Perry, the Farmer's Union; in Rob- binston, Websters, Bishops and Mahollands; in Calais, Treworgy's Drug Store and Andrew's Tobacco Stand; in St. Stephen, Johnson's Book Store; in Woodland, the IGA Store;in Pembroke, Lincoln's, Hatch's and Stanhope's Garage;in Dennysville, Roy's Market and Milton Lyons Store; in Whiting, Crane's; in Machias, the Rubicon Card & Gift Shop; in Lubec, C. C. Sprague, Malcolm Dodge, Doble's Market, Mabee's Drug Store; on Campobello, Keith Jackson and Newman's Auto Service; in Black's Harbour, Connor Bros. Store No. 2; in St. George, the St. George Pharmacy; in Pennfield Ridge, Howard Justason; in St. Andrews, the Wren Drug Store and Cock- burn's Drug Store; on Deer Island, W. J. Darke Store, Lambertville, C & M Grocery in Lord's Cove, A. L. Barteau in Leonard- ville, F. Bruce Butler in Richardson and the 45th Parallel Motel in Fairhaven; and on Grand Manan, D. K. Morse at North Head, Henry Morse on White Head, Ray Russell at Seal Cove and Ingersoll's Grocery at Woodward's Cove. The ferry service between Eastport and Deer Island is indispensable - Dale Barteau's boat, "Deer Island" captained by Fremont Chaffey and the crew are a tremendous help as well as the other boats that have taken copy over when the ferry service is discontinued for a few months. Your editor and publisher, Winifred French also wishes to join the others in wishing all of our readers a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year. No Damage from Oil Spill on Grand Manan On the evening of December 16th, while towing the Dracone carrying approximately 11,000 gallons of fuel oil, the huge baloon was ruptured and thus spilling the entire load between North Head and Long Island. In a few short hours after the spill a strong gale up to sixty miles per hour blowing from the north-east, with snow, spray and later rain carried the oil onto the beaches from North Head to Castalia. The wind and spray carried the oil film onto the highway, 'windshields of cars, buildings etc. in the area. As yet no one can determine the extent of damage which will result from this oil pollution. The boat, Pride of Fundy, had the cargo in tow, to be taken to Grand Harbour where the storage tanks are located. Hugh Ashworth, district engineer with the Ministry of Transport in Saint John, described it as light grade oil which dis- persed quickly in the water. Some of it which washed ashore was soaked up or evaporated. He said that except for a strong odor, there was no trace of the oil six to eight hours after the spill. A Fisheries officer also investigated and found no damage. First Storms of Winter Hit Quoddy Bay Area The latest gale in the area swept up the coast of Maine and hit late Thursday after- noon, Dec. 17th, causing cancellation of many Christmas programs, and dimming of lights on occasion, but no real damage. The wind blown snow dumped nine inches of snow and piled it high in drifts which kept the plows busy throughout the night and the next day, houses shook and con- tents rattled. The next day found every- one digging out sidewalks and drives and plugged entrances to their homes. Although the large gale warning flags hoisted by Eastport Weather Station really took a beating, schools and businesses continued as usual. The children were glad to get sleds and tobaggons out - even saw a flexible sheet of metal being used to slide on and snowmobiles found plenty of bround cover. However, many of the older residents wished that the road crew could stop and unplug their entrances after the plows fill them in, as they used to do many years ago. On Friday, December 4th strong north- east gales gave the Grand Manan Ferry two very rough crossings. On the second trip of the day to Black's Harbour a large transport carrying a cargo of twine listed, spilling the load onto some of the passen- ger cars and damaged at least two of them. The resulting entanglement along with the storm caused the ferry to lay over night at Black's Harbour, returning early the next morning to Grand Marian to make the regular run at eight a.m. The snow storm on Thursday dumped about five or six inches of new snow on the ground in Lubec. Starting at 2 p.m., it quickly developed into a severe storm with gale force winds and drifting snow. About 7 p.m., box 24 sounded on the alarm but was shortly followed by the all- out signal. Wires had fallen close to the bowling alley on Water Street causing a small blaze to start byt a bystander quick- ly doused it with snow before the fire de- partment got there. They remained at the scene for awhile to see that no further trouble developed. Cont. on page 16 OLDEST RESIDENTS IN AREA (OVER 100 YEARS OLD) DIE The community of Eastport was greatly saddened by the death on December 15 of Mrs. Linnie Wentworth, who up to the time of her passing, was the oldest living resident of the city. Mrs. Wentworth was well known and respected during her lifetime by all who knew her, a kindly woman who had been a friend to many. On her 101 st birthday she had been reasonably alert and active, but for the greater part of the past year had suffered from failing health. Mrs. Wentworth leaves a host of friends and acquaintances who will greatly miss, and long remember her, and a void in the community where she had long taken part. In Beaver Harbour, Mrs. W. S. R. Justason, known to one and all as "Aunt Susie", who had celebrated her 102nd birthday on July 22rid at her home, died about a month earlier after a long and active life.